Wednesday, March 21, 2007

March 22, 2007

My first post, finally. I'll try to sum up the last two and a half weeks now...

We arrived in Uganda safe and sounds. A long flight for sure, but I survived. We flew from JFK to Brussels; Brussels to Nairobi; Nairobi to Entebbe. We arrived late on a Monday night. The first 5 days were spent at this little "resort" outside of Kampala. We met the Peace Corps staff and were introduced to the culture, language, health, safety, etc. of Uganda. We were also just becoming aquainted with the other volunteers--we are a huge group--there are 50 volunteers in my training class. It was a nice couple of days to relax before training began. We even got to visit Kampala one of the days to see what life in the capital is like...very different.

That Sunday, we drove to our training site which is Northwest of Kampala. We met our host families which we will be staying with for the next 9 weeks. I'm staying with an older couple who take care of many grandchildren. I'm still not really sure who lives there and who doesn't...but they are all really great. They don't speak English too well, although some of the kids speak some so my communication is primarily through them. I have my own room in their house, and we have running water and electricity about half of the time. Not too bad. I go to bed early and get up early--when the roosters are up, I'm up...not by choice. I think my family gets up before the rooters sometimes. It'll be about 4 in the morning and I hear them...and Ugandans typically eat dinner at about 10pm every night...I don't know when they find the time to rest...

Training is from 8-5 Monday through Friday. We have language for a few hours a day--I'm learning Luganda which means that my site placement will be somewhere in the Buganda region. Luganda is the official language of Uganda, so I'm lucky to be learning it. It'll make traveling a lot easier. A little less than half of us are learning Luganda; the rest are learning various languages spoken in the Eastern region. Technical training also takes up a lot of the time. My group is the first Economic Development group for PC Uganda and there are 12 of us with this assignment--most being former Guinea volunteers. The others are Health and Education volunteers. We also have cross-cultural training, health, and safety throughout the day.

Alright, I'm off to visit a current Peace Corps Volunteer for 3 days to get a glimps of life at site. Pretty excited...Can't promise when I'll get the chance to write next, but I'll try. In the mean time, I love mail!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so excited you posted on your blog!!! Sounds so exciting and different over there. I can't believe you have a phone! That's totally awesome. I miss you so much and work is still not the same w/o you. Have fun, be careful and keep us updated. :) Take care and I'll try to send a package. Love you, miss you!
~Baby (meg, in case you forgot, lol)

Unknown said...

Hey Rivka, your CT family here. Sounds like you're off to a good start... Grandma enjoyed your email, she remembered chickens from the Old Days. We went to UNE w Adrian last weekend, he's getting excited about going. Remember, the early bird gets the worm, so 4am sounds reasonable in that respect.. hoho.
Stay safe.
CBSA TS M M S and the birds

Unknown said...

hey i hope everything is going well. The family is great. I go up for orientation at the end of june and i graduate on june 18th. Hope you are doing great.

Unknown said...

Hello Musungu
What's up, I talked to your mom this morning, she told me you are doing fine.Seb is back at Rose-Hulman,and will be back home for the summer at the end of May. Adrian is graduating the 18th of June. The weather really stinks here this spring ,we have very little sun and it's too cool.The dogs are doing fine. Shanook just ate a chimpmuck. I could not stop him in time.
We hope you're happy and having a good time too.
Chris & Barbara

Unknown said...

Tell us, where are you site-assigned and how far from Lake Victoria is it? Also have you seen a red-crested crane? Keep looking; use those binoculars! We miss your shining countenance and the lilacs have gone ahead and bloomed without you, though without as heady a fragrance as the past. What flower in Buganda can fill the void . . .

Unknown said...

The pics are very nice, it was nice to see the people you live with. I'll show them to Grand Ma when she comes down.